In today’s episode, Eva and Olga welcome Dr. Kakenya Ntaiya, who refused to accept the oppression of women in her hometown village in Kenya and has already accomplished one of her “big dreams” — building a school that provides access to education for girls in her village. With such an inspirational story, it is no surprise that her Ted Talk “A Girl Who Demanded School” has been viewed over 2.5 million times. She’s received numerous awards and recogitions, including being named a Top Ten CNN Hero and the Global Women’s Right Award from the Feminist Majority Foundation.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- What life is like for a young girl in Kenya.
- What education is like for kids in her village in Kenya.
- What her big dream was as a child.
- What it felt like when she finally moved to the US and how she adjusted to her new environment.
- Why she started the Kakenya Center for Excellence and the curriculum that is being taught there.
- What her big dreams are for the future.
- How she has been able to remain a positive person despite living through very difficult circumstances.
- What it truly means to be a leader, and how we can inspire more young people to be leaders.
- Kakenya’s Dream Website
- TedTalk (please note – parental supervision advised)
- Kakenya’s Dream Facebook Page
- Kakenya’s Dream YouTube Channel
Kakenya’s inspirational story reminds us that there are still places in the world where boys and girls do not have equal access to education. We often take basic rights like this for granted, and thought this week’s challenge should revolve around gratitude. For an entire week, we challenge you to articulate at least one thing you are grateful for. We did this exercise during family dinner for an entire week and it was a very rewarding experience. We even created a fun challenge sheet that you can use to keep track of your progress. The sheet can be customized with your face and name, and it is 100% free to download. Click here to claim you free download.
If you complete the challenge, please let Olga know by emailing her at [email protected]. You will be entered into a drawing for a $50 Amazon Gift card and 1-month free membership in Post Pal Club. Winners are selected monthly and contacted by email (as well as announced on our show!).
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING – SUBSCRIBE & LEAVE A HONEST REVIEW
To get Dream Big episodes sent directly to your device as they are published, you can subscribe:
If you received value from our podcast, we would greatly appreciate if you could take a minute to leave us a review on iTunes here. This helps us get more exposure for the podcast and in turn allows us to inspire more people to dream big. We read each and every review and are so grateful our listener who have taken the time to leave us one.
Thanks again for all of your amazing support.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSOR, POSTPALCLUB.COM
The sponsor of Dream Big is PostPalClub.com — a monthly membership club that includes 4 personalized postcards, pre-stamped and ready-to-send to friends and family. For a limited time only, we are offering the 1st month of the Post Pal Club for only $1. That’s just 25 cents each for 4 postcards and it already includes the stamps as well!! To take advantage of this offer while it is still available use the code DREAMBIG at checkout. You can learn more at PostPalClub.com!